Saturday, November 29, 2014

Learning Styles Tests


        I took the Learning Styles and Strategies test that gives a score based on four sets of “opposites”. For example, an Active learner learns best by doing something active (discussing, collaborating), and Reflective learners prefer to think about the material and work alone. My own test results showed that I am a much more Reflective than Active learner. Between Sensing (facts, details) and Intuitive (the big picture) I lean slightly more toward Sensing. I am slightly more Visual than Verbal. Lastly, I am almost balanced between Sequential (step by step) and Global (gathering all information, then making connections).

The second test I took was the Grasha-Riechmann Student Learning Style Scales. This scale gives a low, moderate, or high score for six different learning styles. My scores were: Independent - moderate (3.8), Avoidant - moderate (2.5), Collaborative - low (1.5), Dependent - moderate (3.3), Competitive - moderate (1.9), and Participant - low (2.3). The only one of these that surprised me was the moderate score in the Avoidant category. Avoidant students do not typically enjoy going to class and are uninterested in the content. On the contrary, I love going to class and learning new things, I would just prefer to do it with as little interaction with other people as possible.

Both tests show that I prefer to do my learning quietly and privately. I tend to avoid collaboration if possible. It makes me wonder a little why I chose such an interactive career. However, teaching and learning, while similar in some ways, are not mutually exclusive. Even though I don’t learn by interacting with others, I can still present material in various ways depending on the needs of my students.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Andrea. I am a classmate of yours in TED 310. I was interested in the "why" you decided to teach math, because you both love and hate it. My very first reason, or decision to teach single subject English was because I love reading and literature.

    ReplyDelete